Friday, October 24, 2014

Hopping on the Hop


I bet Manju thought I was never going to respond to her nomination! Hah. I'm just a procrastinator. But thank you for nominating me. I'd like to thank the Academy .... er ... oops.

I'm probably now one of the last stops on this Blog Hop of Why I Write, and I don't do a lot of hops/memes/awards for various reasons (all lazy and selfish of course!), but I have to say I've really been enjoying reading everyone else's so I figured what the heck. And it's a slow day at work (yes, WORK!!!) so I can look busy while typing this and have the added bonus of not using up sewing time this weekend, because I have BIG plans for weekend sewing starting TONIGHT, after coming back from a mad-dash lunch hour stop into Hancock's for the Simplicity sale and to put a small dent into rebuilding my stash. (Run-on sentence much?)

Sidenote: I never realized how many brown/white/ivory prints I have/had until that's about all that was left in the knit prints section of the stash. Yes, I like brown and prints and even brown prints, but good lord ... was I holding a self-contest these past years to see if I could binge buy all the browns? I'm SO happy to now have a few different colors to choose from, and enough to keep me busy over the next few weeks at least.

OK, enough blabber ... let's get to the task at hand.

1. Why do I write?

Well, that's easy. Part of me likes to show off share what I've made with others who Just Get It. I've lived with only males for the last 30 years (yikes!) and while they have all enjoyed the my sewing when it came to their own special request projects, I would inevitably get the glazed eyes/deer in the headlights treatment for most everything else. Part of me wants to keep some sort of journal/diary of my sewing projects. Part of me wants to share the love of the craft with hints and helps that I have picked up along the way.

2. How is my blog different from others of the same genre?

It's not really. It's just me being me with some sewing. And  sometimes my sons and the dogs. (Speaking of which ... the Marine is being promoted to SERGEANT in two weeks!! Can I get an OORAH!!) And some life stuff. And definitely shoes.

3. What am I working on right now? 

Um, this blog post. Oh, I guess that wasn't meant LITERALLY. Hah. It's Friday and I'm a goofball. I must be on a fabric high since lunch.

I have a few things I want to work on right away now that I have NEW FABRIC burning a hole .... er ... where am I going with this metaphor?? ... starting with the Muse Jenna cardi I bought and downloaded today and will tape together tonight. It will be interesting to compare it to my Jalie hack. I also have a HotPatterns dress pattern bought eons ago I'd like to make from the new print I bought today. But first, I'm going to shorten the hem length of the newly made Muse Gillian wrap dress an inch or two. I haven't worn it to work yet because I decided I do want it a little shorter, and the energy isn't always there after working, making dinner, and dog walks. So, I'm hoping to get that done tonight so that Saturday and Sunday are free to SEW, SEW, SEW all the new things!

4. What is my writing process?

Blue moon? When the iron's hot? Hell has frozen over? Pigs are flying? I don't really have a process. I just write what comes to mind, usually after a sewing project but sometimes completely unrelated to sewing, and I write when I feel like it. Well, more like when I have the spare time. I always *want* to write more than I actually do, but there's only so many hours in the day and often the blog has to come last. But I usually manage to get something on it fairly regularly just so the comment 'ho in me (Hi Carolyn) gets her fix. :-) I never schedule a post. When you see a new post it means I have just clicked the Publish button. I'm just not that organized and I don't really see the point. If a post is ready, it's ready. For sewing projects, the post will start to percolate as I'm making the whatever. I take pics along the way so I don't forget what I want to say about a particular detail and then when I'm ready to write, I load up all the photos, edit them, and upload them to Blogger. THEN I begin on the words. And inevitably I've missed a typo or three after I click Publish so I go back and read/re-read and try to find and correct them.

I think that about covers it. I'm home now, having emailed myself the draft so I could finish and post it. I think I'm supposed to nominate two bloggers for the next stops on the tour. I didn't ask in advance so I will understand if you choose to bow out. First is Carolyn of Diary of a Sewing Fanatic. Did I miss her already hopping, because I don't think so and I can't believe no one has nominated her yet. I think she needs no introduction but I REALLY think she needs to send half of her ponte stash to Florida. ;-) Next is Dawn of Two On Two Off. I love her wit, her love of prints, and the Alaskiana she occasionally shares. Alaska is definitely on my Bucket List of places to visit.

I'm off to tape together a pattern and re-hem that dress while the brown thread is still in the machine. Hopefully I'll be back Sunday with something newly made.


12 comments:

  1. It's great to have you back - and sounding so bubbly and happy!
    I was wondering what was happening to the Marine... Sergeant - that's a proud parent moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your new fabrics. Congratulations to the Marine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your posts and following your blog! You have a very natural voice in your writing that makes me feel like a part of you world even though we haven't met! Also we are roughly the same shape and size, although I think you're taller, so I love to see how different patterns fit you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummmm I think I offered to send you some of that ponte fabric before! LOL! I just figured everyone knew my answers and that's why I hadn't been asked. If you still want some of that ponte email me I would be happy to share!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see (hear) you getting back to your old self. How exciting for the Marine! All the hard work paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was first drawn to your blog because you have a womanly shape, as opposed to the twiglike figures of young teens.I stuck around because you tell me things I don't know, and succeed with fabrics that cause my machine to jam up. When you are on blog hiatus, you are missed.
    2788

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha!
    I almost nominated you just to get you writing/blogging again.
    But I don't really know you as you are in Florida which I may never visit again (humidity) and I am from Oregon where we tell people it rains constantly so they won't decide to move here (need space).
    I have enjoyed this blog hop too - people who have been nominated all sew and we know they sew but they almost all shared something more than sewing when asked those four questions.
    I am so glad you have a job again. I think there was almost a fund established *for you* to buy fabric, sew it up and then blog about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OORAH! Good on the Marine!

    Great to read about your way of doing things.

    Wonderful to see you out and ready to keep the fabric and pattern industry afloat now you are working again. Looking forward to seeing your finished garments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your answers. I feel you on the 'blogging-takes-a-back-seat.' In any event, I like reading what you write whenever you have the chance. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your son's promotion. Happy sewing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute proud mama you are! And well should you be--wonderful news. Congratulations to him!

    I am so like you in the non-scheduling the posts thing--any time I have tried to schedule, I get my translation of GMT or whatever all wrong and the post comes out at some random hour. And mostly I am just too impatient. Done is done.

    Glad to be hearing your unique voice again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to your son! Next stop: Officer Candidates School

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.