Monday, August 18, 2014

McCall's 6752 In Progress

I did turn on the lights and machines in the sewing room yesterday, and got to work on McCall's 6752. I cut out the pattern and fabric and sewed the bodice. And that's where I ended since Alex and I took the dogs to the beach. We both really enjoy taking them there. It's close and free, and the dogs love it. Chili now knows where we're heading as soon as he sees the towels come out. He's so darn smart, that dog.


Tonight after dinner, I had some reserve energy (how did THAT happen?) and got back to the dress. Now all that's left are the hems.

I made View B, the one shown in the red print on the envelope. Lots of sewers in blogland have also made this view and I've liked them all, so it was time to be a sheep. :-) 


The only real alteration I made was to add 4 inches to the bottom of the skirt. All reviews (and my own eyes) said the skirt was SHORT. I cut the size 16 for the neck/shoulders and morphed to the 22 by the waist/hips, since laying my TNT Magic Pencil over the skirt told me that was the best size to use. I also added additional length to the cowl facing to help prevent inside-out-ness, especially since this ITY knit slips and curls almost on its own. I may yet still add a little weight to the facing to keep it in place.


I haven't tried it on yet, and I'm a little worried that it may be more revealing than I'm comfortable with. If so, I'll have to don a cami for an underlayer.

Does anyone else do this .... get the whole thing nearly finished and then don't try it on? I'm telling myself it's because I'm choosing to end the day's sewing session on a good note. In reality, it's because I don't want to possibly ruin my night by finding out it doesn't fit. Yep, I'm a chicken.

12 comments:

  1. That's not me...I am trying it on every step of the way, sewing in my undies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no I try things on at all the critical spots. I even gave it the name "Fit Stop" like a pit stop. I'm even considering putting up a curtain area for changing. I hate wadders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking great, this is exactly my kind of favourite dress, so easy to wear. I am the opposite to you and try on things regularly, still doesn't always work, but explains why I am so slow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...what do I do? I try tops/jackets on midway, but that's it. I make muslins for everything, so if I am not okay with the fit at the muslin stage, I don't cut out my fashion fabric.

    I've been meaning to try M6752 for a while; I even cut out a muslin. Hah. Try that dress on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love those swirls that look like ribbons, great looking print. The dress will fit, I want to see it on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hell no! I never "don't try it on." I'm like Kyle trying it on as soon as I can and sewing in my undies and always having matching shoes near by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it looks so...you! Great pattern, great fabric, and hopefully a great fit to go with it!

    I'm another one of those ladies, sitting at the sewing machine in my panties because I'm sick of shucking off and on my clothes while I check fit (or just try it on again in excitement). But I finished knitting a sweater two weeks ago and am too afraid to try it on...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually do pop things on before finishing. Impatience. Love the look of your dress. Great fabric. Looking forward to seeing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made View B 2-3 weeks ago. I found the dress super comfy and it isn't as reveling as you may think..

    The only alteration i would make for the next version I make is to taper in and shorten the sleeves a little. I am petite so the sleeves just look a little to big on me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dress is really cute. It makes me want that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty dress. Since I am not a muslin maker, I try my garments on often.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for each and every comment. I appreciate them all, but I have to be honest and let you know that I'm usually bad about answering questions. I hope you understand that there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

To help keep spam comments under control, any comments to blog posts that are more than 30 days old are moderated and will not show up immediately.